Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My First Pregnancy Dream (1994)

Yes, this was 13 years ago.

I was 12 and had been writing about my dreams for about a year. But that's all I did--write about the dreams. I had never even given any thought to the interpretations of them.

It was my parents whom I had consulted about a dream I had one day after dozing off in my room. In this dream, I was quite pregnant--I'd say about five months or so--and I didn't know the father. I remember that the dream had a very melancholy setting, and featured me walking along a wood fence, wondering what to do about the baby.

Lately, I've been looking back on some of my old dreams. This was one of the dreams that interested me most.

It is said that when a woman or girl dreams about being pregnant, it symbolizes the coming of a new gift, potential, or purpose; it hardly has anything to do with an actual baby.

I have had several pregnancy dreams since then, all of them much happier than the first.

My guess is that I was examining something new about myself and wasn't sure what to do with it. I did suffer from self-esteem issues all through adolescence, and so I was unsure about a lot of things.

Of course, as I grew older, that outlook changed, and the dream elements changed with them. Even though I am still trying to find myself as an adult, I am more sure of what I want and need than I was before, when all I was concerned about was others' opinions of me. I know that there a lot of things about me that still have yet to be discovered, and I really want to work on bringing them out into the open and using them.

No comments: