Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Mansion Dream (1999)

I believe I had this dream exactly eight years before the dream about the town in Maryland (yes, I remember the exact date).

Before I share this dream with you, I'll give you a little backstory: I was 17 and a junior in high school at the time. I had a terrible time in high school, and was treated pretty much like an outcast. Many of my problems centered around a guy whom I like very much but who showed no interest in me whatsoever.

The dream began with me and a lot of my high-school classmates in an huge, spooky mansion. We were all adults in the dream, and some of us were married.

We were greeted by an elderly hostess with a British accent, whom I believe informed us that we were all to die at a certain time. Then she let us go our separate ways throughout the mansion.

The free time she allotted us did not go without the shedding of blood, as the hostess went around the mansion and began taking people's lives, one-by-one. I never saw exactly who she killed, but I knew it was a lot of people, all of whom I knew well.

Eventually, everyone was called back to the main den area, and the hostess announced that our death was near. She said she would allow us each to have one sexual experience before we died--or as she so bluntly put it, "one fuck before you die." Everyone complied and had their final sexual experience.

Finally, the time came for us to die, and she had intended to kill us off single-handedly. As her first victim, she chose my at-the-time object of desire. She took out a dagger and proceeded to attack him. I intervened and tried to stop her, but I was too late; she had killed him with a single stab wound to the heart.

Just as she had stabbed him, I spotted another dagger on the floor, picked it up, and moved in on the hostess, killing her as she had killed my crush. As I watched her die, the dream ended.

To this day, it is unclear to me what this dream's overall message is. But I have still managed to interpret a few principal elements.

Seeing as I was the only one in the dream who could stop the killer hostess, I concluded that the hostess represented me--a negative aspect of myself that had to be "killed" in order for me to grow and mature. And this negative aspect was affecting not only me but also many others around me, as suggested by the multiple killings. And perhaps the victims whose faces I didn't see were people who probably would have lent me a helping hand at the time, but who had distanced themselves after encountering this ugly side of me. The only victim whose face I had seen, my crush, was the one affected most of all.

This dream has all the makings of an informational dream, judging from what I could interpret, especially my own actions in the dream. I believe that my killing the hostess was a message to me telling me what I needed to do if I wanted things to improve in my life, socially and emotionally as well as spiritually.

Unfortunately, I did not listen, and high school continued to get worse for me. But I am listening now, eight years later, as a 25-year-old woman. That "madwoman" is still alive and well inside me, as strong as she ever was, attacking at a different front. She hasn't "killed" anyone yet, thank God. And I am taking steps to make sure that never happens.

No comments: