Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lights out.

Such was the case in a couple of recent, very short dreams, which I believe could go into recurring mode. The first, I believe, was either on Monday or Tuesday, and the second was on Friday.

In the first dream, there was still daylight outside, but the sky had dimmed a little, and the stove light in my kitchen, which I always keep on in waking life, had burned out, and so had the lights in my bathroom. Also, the television was off, there was no music playing on the radio, and even my cell phone had stopped working.

I remember waking up and noticing that all the lights were off. Then I saw that my phone wasn't working--specifically, the screen had gone black and the icons on the screen were scrambled--and I spent a few minutes trying to think of a way to fix it. After a while, I got up and looked around the apartment, puzzled as to why my lights had stopped working.

I don't remember everything that I looked at, but I remember seeing the darkness of the kitchen and the bathroom. In the last part of the dream, I was standing in my closet, facing out toward the window, when I suddenly felt myself being pushed back into the closet. Then I woke up.

In the second dream, the sky was darker, and it must have been pitch black outside, because there was no light shining through my window. I woke up and noticed that all the lights in my apartment were out except for one of the lights in the bathroom, which itself was extremely dim. This disturbed me greatly, and I got up out of bed to inspect and to replace the dead bulbs. I had realized that the lights in the bathroom and the kitchen had burned out, so I tried to turn on the overhead light in the kitchen, but that light, too, had burned out. Then I tried to turn on the wall light facing my bed, but that light was out as well. I finally tried turning on the lamp on my dresser, and of course...

At this point, I was thinking, "Great--all my lights are burned out." Part of me was thinking that maybe a fuse had blown. Then I remembered the light in the closet. So I flipped the switch and was relieved to see that the light still worked. I don't remember exactly what happened after that, but sometime after I turned the light on, the dream ended, and I woke up, relieved to see that there was daylight outside, and that my lights were still in working order.

I don't know exactly what to make of these dreams just yet. Part of me is hoping that these dreams are not some terrible omen about something in my life. But I believe that more likely, these dreams are expressing a fear that I have failed to acknowledge in waking life. Or perhaps they informative, telling me that I am "in the dark" about something.

I may have to meditate, and I'm definitely going to pray over this. Only God knows the answer to these dreams right now, and He's the only one who knows where this will take me.

No comments: